Saturday, December 26, 2009

Chocolate-Hazlenut Meringues

I surprisingly made a lot of recipes this year from the Holiday Issue of Cooking Light magazine.  I made their Cooking Light Dinner Rolls, Chili-Spiced Almonds, Frisee Salad with Maple-Bacon Vinaigrette, and Chocolate-Hazelnut Meringues (substitued with pecans because that's what I had on hand).

My husband bought me a Sil Pat from Williams and Sonoma for Christmas this year so I had to use it on something.  I decided to venture out and make meringues.  When I previously looked through my Holiday Issue of Cooking Light, I saw a recipe for Chocolate-Hazlenut Merginues.  I had everything except the hazlenuts so I decided to substitute pecans.  They are so good! Without the chocolate and pecans they taste like the top of a perfectly browned marshmallow. 

I think these will become another gift to give away next year during Christmas.  Enjoy!


Chocolate-Hazlenut Meringues
Cooking Light

5 large egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 oz. semisweet chocolate
1/3 cup blanched whole hazlenuts, toasted and finely chopped (I used pecans)

1. Preheat oven to 250F.
2. Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy.  Add cream of tartar and salt, beating until soft peaks form.  Gradually add sugars, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.  Add vanilla; beat 1 minute.
3. Cover two baking sheetswith parchment paper (I used my Sil Pat).  Spoon 24 (2-inch-rounds) mounds (I piped rosettes) onto prepared baking sheets.  Place in oven; bake at 250F for 1 hour or until dry to touch, rotating pans halfway through cooking. (Meringues are done when surface is dry and meringues can be removed from paper without sticking to fingers.)  Turn oven off.  Cool meringues in oven 1 hour.  Remove from oven; carefully remove meringues from paper.
4. Place chocolate in a medium glass bowl.  Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring until smooth.  Dip side of meringue in melted chocolate and chopped hazlenuts.  Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 2 meringues).

Nutritional Info:

Calories 135
Fat 4.3 g (sat 1.4g, mono 1.7g, poly 0.3g)
Protein 2.6g
Carb 22.7g
Fiber 0.4mg
Chol 0mg
Iron 0.6mg
Sodium 51mg
Calc 13mg

No comments:

Post a Comment