Saturday, July 17, 2010

Quick Coconut Ice Cream















I can't believe it's already mid-July and I've only made one homemade ice cream recipe!!  I've had my ice cream maker attachment (for the KitchenAid mixer) since Christmas and the only ice cream I've made is the Double Chocolate Mint Chip (it was also healthy).  This was the first ice cream recipe I made that called for heavy cream and let me tell you, it was deliciousIt was also super easy to make!

I was craving a cool, coconut treat so I searched for coconut ice cream recipes.  I stumbled across a lot of recipes that called for a list of around 10 ingredients of which one of the ingredients was coconut cream (not coconut milk).  Does anyone know where to find this??  I wasn't in the mood to search for specialty food items so I kept looking.  I then came across this site.  I was instantly excited for the recipe because it calls for four ingredients!  I left out the saffron, but I'm sure it adds a really great touch to it (like I said... wasn't in the mood for finding specialty items).  This coconut ice cream I made calls for three ingredients: heavy cream, unsweetened coconut milk, and granulated sugar.

I hope you give this recipe a try, it is delicious!  You could really fancy it up and serve on top of some sort of cookie, shortbread, cake, etc. and top with toasted unsweetened flaked coconut.  Yum.

Quick Coconut Ice Cream Recipe
*adapted from Delicious Days

2/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup coconut milk (I used unsweetened)
1/4 cup granulated white sugar

In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil (right when it starts to really boil it will look foamy and start to rise in the pan.  If you're not watching enough it may boil over so watch closely because when it really starts to go you need to go the next step).

Reduce heat (to about medium low, a 2.5 on my gas stove dial) and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and chill the mixture thoroughly (I place the pan in a wooden bowl with ice to submerge it.  Then I stick the whole thing in the fridge.  This process usually cools the mixture in about 30 minutes.).

Once chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the instructions (in the KitchenAid mixer it took approximately 20 minutes).

Some Tips/Notes:
-Make sure the ice cream maker attachment bowl is completely chilled and frozen prior to churning the ice cream (at least 12 hours).  I leave it in my freezer at all times so I can have ice cream quickly ;)
-Some ice creams require an additional "riping" period in the freezer.  This ice cream sets up really nicely in the churn process and is thick enough to scoop and eat right away.  If you freeze the ice cream after it does get harder and may require some time to soften gently prior to scooping.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds so good!!! I just bought an ice cream maker at Target last week on clearance for $12 and we've made two batches already. I had never had homemade ice cream until this year and I was hooked! I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com that is super easy. We need to limit our ice cream consumption because it's not exactly low fat!

    ReplyDelete