Tuesday, October 13, 2009

UW vs. Arizona... and the food that made the day.

This last weekend we were faced with a small dilemma. We didn't have a RV for tailgating. We usually always tailgate before the Husky football games in my father-n-law's RV. We couldn't resist the thought of missing out on all the pre-game good eats, so Kyle and I decided to invite everyone over to our house before the game.

We had French Style Grilled Potato Salad, Tangerine-Maple Glazed Chicken Drumsticks, the Bacon Explosion, no bake cookies, and root beer floats. We also grubbed on some cheese and crackers, chips and salsa, and salmon spread with wheat thins. Oh, did I mention we also had steaks? Well, not all of us decided to have a steak after the mountain of glutenous eating, but some us did. Hint: Kyle and I actually decided to pass. I know, right? Big surprise. Seriously.

So, here are some pics of the French Style Grilled Potato Salad I made, courtesy of Bobby Flay.





This was a really good potato salad if you like mustard. I'm a big fan of mustard (especially on hot dogs with relish and onions) so this salad hit home. I liked the idea of grilling the salad and let me tell you, its what made the salad.

This is the perfect dish for a potluck or picnic. To view the complete recipe, click here.

... and then there was the grill.. and meat...



A whole plethora of chicken drumsticks.. slowly cooking away on the grill for the Tangerine-Maple Glazed Chicken Drumsticks recipe.



I was really drawn to this recipe because the chicken is cooked at a lower temperature on the grill for around 25-30 minutes. The end result is a moist, flavorful piece of chicken with a crunchy skin. Yum.



What makes this dish fabulous is the tangerine-maple glaze. I had to be a little creative this week because Kyle couldn't find Orange-Tangerine juice. I used Orange-Pineapple instead and I think it tastes near the same.



Garnish with green onions and a grilled slice of tangerine and you're good to go!
If you want to view the recipe, check out the post here.
... and then there was the Bacon Explosion. Kyle's ultimate tailgating food that he insists he has to make every football game.


I'm going to have to admit, this weekend the Bacon Explosion tasted great! Kyle bought hot Italian sausage from the market and it really gave the kick I love.
To see more detailed post on how to make / smoke the bacon explosion, click here.
And how could I forget the chocolate?


Although I bought vanilla ice cream and root beer for root beer floats, I couldn't resist making some quick no bake cookies.
I grew up eating these as a kid and I L-O-V-E them! My mom always would whip up a batch on the fly.
No Bake aka Mountain Bar Cookies
12-15 cookies (depending on size)
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup or one stick of butter
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbsp. cocoa powder (hehe Jen, thanks for the reminder!!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick oats, plus more for setting
Directions:
Heat the sugar, butter, milk, and cocoa on high heat over the stove. Once the mixture begins a rapid boil, start the timer for ~ 1 minute, 8 seconds, or 1 minute, 15 seconds if you're my mom :)
After the mixture cooks for 1 minute and 8 seconds, turn off the heat and add the vanilla and peanut butter. Stir in quickly and immediately add the oats. Stir until combined.
Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto a strip of wax paper and let dry (or set). If when you are stirring the mixture looks a little too loose or glossy, add a handful of oats.
Enjoy!!
Note: if you make mondo cookies like I do... they need to set for a lot longer.
Oh, and as for the Husky football game... we won!!! Yipee!! Seriously, the most amazing, well, second most amazing game I've been to this year. Well, I've only been to two home games, but they were both great!

Check out my post on the USC game here.
Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Do you add coco to your cookies???
    hehehe
    That is so funny.
    I Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no chocolate.. haha.. ya right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally forgot - thanks for catching. I think this cold is literally going to my head!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! We all have it too. Or some virus.
    Grace's temp finally came down, but Faith, well...Faith is not looking so good, we may get admitted. ugh.
    Hopefully we'll chat soon...I haven't seen you in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete