Saturday, April 3, 2010

Oatmeal Coconut Scotchies

Gross.  Not the cookies, but having to dig through the garbage this morning (luckily I didn't have to go far) to recover this recipe.  This last week I was craving cookies and it was one of my client's 40th birthday so I thought.. why not bake some cookies.  I didn't have much on hand, but managed to have all the ingredients for this Oatmeal Scotchies recipe on the back of a Nestle TollHouse Butterscotch morsels bag.  I used to make coconut butterscotch biscotti so that is why I had them on hand.  I was excited to try this oatmeal cookie recipe because I already knew I liked the coconut and butterscotch pairing.  Trust me.  If you haven't tried this combo.. it is SO good.  The recipe on the back of the morsel bag did not include coconut, it was something I added at the last minute, but these would be equally as good without it.  This recipe is now a favorite of mine because of the flavor and the texture.  This cookie has a slight chew on the outside (like a corner brownie..mmm) and is soft on the inside.  It melts in your mouth (because of that butter.. aren't your proud of me Paula?!). 

I definitely recommend baking these for yourself and for others as they will love you for it.

Oatmeal Scotchies
Nestle TollHouse
Makes about 4 dozen cookies (or about 3 batches of 9 large cookies)

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened (butter all the way baby)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange (I used vanilla extract)
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) Nestle TollHouse Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
1/3 cup sweetened coconut (something I added)

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in small bowl.  Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in oats and morsels.  Drop by the rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. I rolled into a 1 1/2 in. ball and flattened will my palms so it looked like a little flat disk about 1/2 in. thick.  I could fit 9 of these on a standard baking sheet.  I also used a Sil Pat.

Bake for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies; 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies.  Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. I cooked mine for about 9-10 minutes (when making 9 to a batch).  I definitely recommend leaving them on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes.  I left them until they cooled completely and they removed nicely (largely because it was on a Sil Pat).

No comments:

Post a Comment