Sunday, March 28, 2010

Three Cheese Tortellini with Basil

I rarely buy pre-made fresh pasta, but one day it was on sale so I bought some and threw the pack in the freezer. I enjoy eating stuffed pasta tossed in olive oil and topped with fresh parmesan, but this time I wanted something more. I decided to defrost 1/4 cup of tomato paste from the freezer and add 2 tablespoons of milk to thin it out and give it a creamier taste. Once the pasta was cooked, I drained and tossed the tortellini with the tomato mixture. I plated just over a cup of the pasta and topped it with some fresh julienned basil and grated parmesan. For being a quick, simple, throw together meal, I liked it. If I were to make it again, I would probably thin it with some more milk. The basil definitely gave it that Italian touch.

Three Cheese Tortellini with Basil
Recipe By Me
Serves 2

1 container of fresh three cheese tortellini pasta (about 9 oz.)
1/4 cup of tomato paste
2 tablespoons of milk
1/4 cup of fresh grated parmesan, plus more for garnish
6 large basil leaves, julienned

1. Add pasta to a pot of boiling water and cook for 7-9 minutes (or according to the directions on the package).

2. While the pasta is cooking, mix the tomato paste with the milk and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Julienne the basil leaves and grate the parmesan.

3. Drain the cooked pasta and add back to the pot.  Toss with the tomato mixture and grated parmesan.  Plate half of the mixture on a plate and garnish with more parmesan and julienned basil.

Enjoy!

1 comment: