Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pasta Salad with Salmon, Peas, and Herbs

Ok so I know the picture doesn't look that appetizing, but this pasta is really good I assure you.  You have to like salmon though, and whole wheat pasta, oh.. and peas (which I usually hate, but they are suprisingly good in this dish).

I tried this Ellie Krieger recipe out for the first time yesterday.  I needed to bring a salad to the Women's Spring Luncheon at our church and wanted it to be healthy so I opted for this one. 

The dressing is super rich and creamy - it's made with greek yogurt, lemon juice, mayonnaise, lemon zest, dill, and salt and pepper.  It's also super simple (ok, did I really just say super simple? Sandra Lee says that about a bazillion times during her show Semi Homemade and I can't stand it!!!).  I'll just say it's simple, better yet, so easy (you can find this recipe in Ellie Krieger's cookbook, So Easy).  Once the pasta is cooked and cooled, you toss with the dressing, some herbs, the peas, and salmon and you're good to go. 

I will definitely make this pasta salad again and potentially even bring it to work. 

Katrina, thank you for the compliments on this salad.  As promised, here is the recipe:

Pasta Salad with Salmon, Peas, and Herbs
Ellie Krieger, So Easy

Makes 4 Servings

2/3 cup plain Greek-style nonfat yogurt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon minced fresh dill, or 2 teaspoons dried
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (14-ounce) can wild red salmon, drained, skinned and boned, cut into chunks (I suggest buying the salmon in a pouch, if they have that, already skinned and with the bones taken out b/c this took the most time)
1 10-ounce package frozen peas, defrosted
1/2 pound bowtie or corkscrew pasta, cooked according to package directions and cooled (I substituted with organic whole-wheat pasta, farfalle, and it tasted really good - more fiber and better for you)
2 scallions (white and green parts), minced (about 1/4 cup)
8 cups chopped red-leaf lettuce

Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, mayonnaise, lemon zest, dill, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to incorporate.  Add the salmon, peas, pasta, and scallions and toss to incorporate.  The pasta salad will keep up to 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

To serve, mound 2 cups of the lettuce onto each plate or into to-go containers and scoop about 1 3/4 cups of the pasta salad on top.

1 comment:

  1. WOOHOO!! I am so happy that you posted the recipe.....funny thing, I didn't think I liked whole wheat pasta, so I am glad I did not know that it was wheat I may not have tried it....and this was seriously DELICIOUS :-)

    I am looking forward to making this for my guys and trying other recipes you have posted.

    ~katrina

    ReplyDelete