Friday, March 12, 2010

Sweet Things

Wow it's been forever - good to finally be back!  Although I haven't posted in a while that doesn't mean I haven't been cooking or baking.  I've actually been cooking up a storm.  I try at least 2 or 3 new recipes a week to keep things interesting.  Some recipes I've tried recently are Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast, Garlic Basil Shrimp, Shrimp Fra Diavlo, Shitake and Sweet Pea Risotto, and many others.  This weekend I'm going to try Ellie Krieger's Beef and Taco Salad as well as a Balsamic Chicken with Sauteed Bell Peppers.

On to much sweeter things...

like Stuffed French Toast.  To be quite honest, I wasn't thrilled about the flavor of this dish.  It's a healthy recipe so it doesn't have any syrup. None. Nada. Zilch.  I usually don't like a lot of syrup anyway, but this dish would benefit from a tsp. of pure maple syrup drizzled on top.  The chocolate and strawberry combination was fabulous though (who doesn't love chocolate and strawberries together?!) and I will definitely try this again just with a touch of syrup.
















Another recipe I tried was this White Cake Cupcakes with White Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  A mouthful to say, but so delicious and light and fluffy and yum.  This reminds me somewhat of the cakes you can buy in the store, but there is something to be said about using Swiss Meringue Buttercream instead of an American Buttercream that's much sweeter.  I added a few drops of yellow food coloring to give it a fluffly yellow color and added multi-colored sprinkles for a fun touch.  I served these at a church function at our house (for the junior / senior high school kids) and they loved them.























The last recipe I'm going to include is by far one of my favorites.  It's a Devil's Food Cupcake with Chocolate Ganache glaze. Yum.  I've also made the cupcakes with a chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream and those were good as well, a little less chocolatey in flavor.  You definitely need to give this recipe a try.  Sour cream keeps this cupcake super moist and flavorful.  The ganache frosting is time consuming to make so I made a glaze instead and it tasted great.















If you would like any of these recipes just email me at alyssa.talley@gmail.com and I will send the info. 

Happy Friday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment